Author Topic: Advice needed:  (Read 49582 times)

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
Advice needed:
« on: October 25, 2007, 01:20:26 PM »
It's kind of a long story, but a horticulturist friend of mine started an organic vegetable farm this year, and it has turned out to be very successful. He currently has a two wheel italian tractor (Grillo - Kind of like a Gravely on steroids), but he needs something bigger. He is looking at buying a very inexpensive tractor for the next season, his budget is about 2-3K. The tractor would be used mainly for hauling compost (hence a bucket is important) and he would also like to use it for plowing (2-3 furrow would be fine, this is a fairly small venture). He is asking me for recommendations. My first recommendation, a Massey Fergueson 135, is out of his budget by a large margin. The Deere tractors that I know are also in the 5-7K range. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. Obviously, a two thousand dollar tractor won't have it all, but I am wondering if there is anything out there with live hydraulics and a 3 pt hitch that's known to be really cheap. Live hydraulics and good performance from the bucket seem to be more important than the 3 pt hitch. Is there a particular tractor I should be looking at? 
JL

Offline carib

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • Soft Top Rovers Have More Fun
Re: Advice needed:
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:57:11 PM »
JL:

Is your friend mechanically inclined.

May be able to get something in the range he is looking at if it requires some work, but will most likely be a bare tarctor without any attachments.

I am sold on the diesel Major or Dexta, but not very common. Majors are not as much in demand in NA if he can find one may get it reasonable. Parts are not a problem for the majors or diesel dextas

The major would be equivalent to a MF 165 and the Dexta to the MF 135

Kenneth
1974 Series III  SWB Petrol
1970 Series IIA SWB Perkins
        Prima Diesel Conversion
1963 Fordson Super Major Diesel
1957 2YBA Ruston Hornsby Diesel
        9 KVA Gen Set

Kenneth Armour

Offline a109

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:27:43 PM »
To brutally honest he is most unlikely to get a useful tractor for that budget. He might find a 1950's IH, Case, Cockshut etc but it will be rough and not likely have 3 pt hitch  to make it versatile. Fergusons and Ford 8ns would be usable in the short term but will start at the top of his price range. Your recomendation of an MF135 or an MF35 is spot on. He would be well advised to adjust his budget to get to much more suited later model.
John

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 08:12:36 PM »
Kenneth: No, my friend is not very mechanically inclined, but he is learning fast. I am the 'farm mechanic', which translates into an inexhaustible flow of garden vegetables during the summer coming straight into my fridge.

I don't know much about the Fordsons, I have found that most of the older machines that had some redeeming qualities tend to have parts support, and some others have faded into oblivion for good reason. I will keep an eye out for them, especially the Dexta, it's about the right size.

John, thanks. It's nice to hear it from someone with actual experience - I've only worked on a few makes and models, and I don't know how they 'work'. Dave keeps thinking that this is a disposable piece of equipment that he only needs for two years, and I keep telling him that a good tractor will pay for itself quickly and will last indefinitely. I was actually also thinking on an 8N as a good candidate for a yard tractor, but it lacks what he needs most - a good bucket.

JL

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 01:48:51 PM »
To bring this back to the top, any opinions on the following:

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-tools-equipment-For-sale-massey-tractor-W0QQAdIdZ39965522

Looks like a Massey Fergueson 35, the rubber looks good, it has a real 3pt hitch and a workable PTO, and it should have a real hydraulic system. No bucket, but I know of a couple of used ones that could be bought and adapted if necessary. The Allied recommended model is a 295 which looks to be very common. A Perkins would have been ideal, but my thoughts are to use this one for a few years and then get another machine if necessary.

I am thinking that this is a real machine for a decent price...
JL

Offline a109

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 12:25:36 PM »
This is NOT a Massey Ferguson. It is a grey Ferguson under a bad coat of red paint.
This means it has NO live PTO or position control on the 3pt hitch nor does it have diff lock.
The Ferguson is a good little tractor but has far fewer features than the MF35.
John

Offline Bruce

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
    • Winter Romp
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 03:16:04 AM »
Oh have I got a 434 for him...
Just kidding sort of...
As much as I dislike that lump of Iron.
Way to much money in it repair wise to be able
to sell it a a fair price..

I'm guessing one can be had up there for a good price (never sold down here)

It is very good on fuel, will pull a two botton plow all day and somewhat easy
to repair.

That sort of tractor will do just about anything a small scale farmer can dream up.

8N  and 600 series Fords use a lot of fuel for what they do and carry a hefty
resale price down here  for some strange reason.

A David Brown should also fill his needs... Mine is an old workhorse that always starts and
almost never breaks down other then for a somewhat flakey draft control and not being
able to find a fuel cap that fits..

My neighbour has a MF 35 tucked away that he will sell for a fair price, but the cost of
getting it up there would eat up any savings gained from a short sale.

As John said earlier he is going to need to invest more then a couple of grand to get something
that will fill his needs or he will wind up with some old tried clunker like my 434 which I paid
$1800.00 for fifteen or so years ago and have since put over five grand into.

Just my $00.02 worth..

Bruce

Offline Bruce

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
    • Winter Romp
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 03:50:18 AM »
fyi J-L

This is an  IH 434 (one of it's good days)

http://tinyurl.com/2r4og6

Bruce

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:53:06 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I've talked to Dave and made the recommendation that he should try and scrape together 5000$ and then we'll look again.
JL