Author Topic: E bay rover  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Todd Jackson

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • Caper on the wrong side of the pond
    • My Hybrid Series 3
Re: E bay rover
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
Why does it have $3700, when the guy REALLY wants $8000 for it? Is he fishing, if so, then I would play along........ OR is he looking for a crazy american with a limitless bank account  :ask

Todd.

Offline Justrovin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
    • Briarwood Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 11:20:58 AM »
Why does it have $3700, when the guy REALLY wants $8000 for it? Is he fishing, if so, then I would play along........ OR is he looking for a crazy american with a limitless bank account  :ask

Todd.

It's the basis of an auction. The top price bid is 3700, his reserve is set to the lowest he would settle for, ( or what HE thinks it's worth )  He is of course hoping for auction fever to displace common sense and drive the price past what it is really worth. 
I carry the dust of a journey
That cannot be shaken away
It lives deep within me
For I breathe it every day
                            - ELP

Offline spy

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
Yes, the auction has to start somewhere.  A few months ago, I bid on a landy pickup  ... the start was $5K (USD), the bidding got up to $14K (not I) and the reserve still was not met.  The landy did not sell on e-bay anyways and wasn't re-posted.

S.
Steve

Offline Justrovin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 06:25:57 PM »
Yes, the auction has to start somewhere.  A few months ago, I bid on a landy pickup  ... the start was $5K (USD), the bidding got up to $14K (not I) and the reserve still was not met.  The landy did not sell on e-bay anyways and wasn't re-posted.

S.

This is what I have run into from time to time, an item not selling because of the reserve was set too high. It's done on purpose. A dealer in Houston had exactly the auto that I wanted, but hindsight tells me it wasn't really for sale. He ran the auction, got lots of bids, probably hundreds of hits on the site, advertised other deals he had on cars that you could call about or go and see etc. National advertising, on ebay. What did it cost him when the rover's reserve wasn't met and the auction died?  no sale = low fee  = almost free ad
It lives deep within me
                            - ELP

Offline spy

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 06:58:35 PM »
and ... sometimes even the ads are free!
Steve

Offline jimh

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 07:09:32 PM »
Woooh now, I just put down the bid as advertised, what it can be bought for is up to the buyer.  jim

Offline Justrovin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »
Woooh now, I just put down the bid as advertised, what it can be bought for is up to the buyer.  jim

I know Jim. I think we're talking about something else now, Ebay auctions etc. At least I think we are. On the rover you posted,  Bid as advertised = highest bid so far (3700 ). Reserve =  whatever he will let it go for, which could be the 8k everyone is throwing around, I have no idea.  Is this what you mean? 
It lives deep within me
                            - ELP

Offline jimh

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 09:38:43 PM »
Right on the money as it were.    jim

Offline Todd Jackson

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • Caper on the wrong side of the pond
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 11:52:22 PM »
Sorry, I didn't catch the reserve wasn't meet. :doh2

Like Con has said, it can be anything.... :omfg

Todd.

Offline landi41

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 12:05:19 PM »
Sorry, I didn't catch the reserve wasn't meet. :doh2

Like Con has said, it can be anything.... :omfg

Todd.

The interesting thing about E-Bay (and they say it's illeagal) is that you can get your buddies to bid on your item and keep jacking the price up. if things screw up somehow.... your buddy buys it (on paper of course) who's to know....... :ask

I wouldn't buy a big ticket item on E-Bay .....person to person negotiation is the way to go.........

And look at Mick Boone, from Sask. (on LRM) who bought a supposedly totally complete 300 tdi on UK E-Bay........poor guy got taken big time, not sure if it's resolved yet or not...... :WTF
Regards;
Dave

had a 1996 Discovery SD automatic (now Tony's plow truck) RIP

1997 Discovery SE automatic "The Black Knight" (thanks Tony :)

Offline spy

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
There are risks certainly but I bought my Healey (from Long Beach CA ... no rust eh?) from what I felt was a pretty reputable dealer.   Car arrived safe and as described ... no issues, so there are good tales to tell as well.  I'm not advocating it just telling the flip-side.

You have to be pretty confident in the seller to buy sight unseen ... right Tony?   :wink

Steve.
Steve

Offline landi41

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 01:28:51 PM »

You have to be pretty confident in the seller to buy sight unseen ... right Tony?   :wink

Steve.

:doh2 :doh2
You know Steve you have a point.........after my rant about E-Bay it just occured to me i have bought the following (from private sellers) all of the following items site unseen.......

A Land Rover 110 from the UK

A 24 ft  :sailboat  from Montreal

A 1996 Discovery from Dartmouth...........

A spare 4.0l V-8 engine (for the above) from Texas

I guess i've been lucky because everything worked out OK....... :fing02

Regards;
Dave

had a 1996 Discovery SD automatic (now Tony's plow truck) RIP

1997 Discovery SE automatic "The Black Knight" (thanks Tony :)