Author Topic: Lost and Found Warn 8274 Winch Brake  (Read 129 times)

Offline dspencer

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
Lost and Found Warn 8274 Winch Brake
« on: April 05, 2020, 11:29:40 PM »
With lots of time on my hands at home I pulled out an Warn 8274  winch that has been circulating around the club for many years.  The brushes and brush holder are toast... now on order. Gear box had water in it  once upon a time but no teeth broken. Nice. Biggest challenge,  the Brake unit is  missing entirely. Has been missing for at least the last two owners of the winch. Held in place on it's shaft by a snap ring, it is not uncommon (apparently) for the unit come off  and get lost in the mud while winching. If you are unlucky it is just the snap that ring comes off while winching  and the brake unit then later  falls off somewhere in the deep woods of Norther Maine or on Highway 2 while coming home to Nova Scotia . Has anyone every found a Warm 8274 winch  brake unit along the trail? I am looking for one   Thanks.

Offline lilmul

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • my new project
Re: Lost and Found Warn 8274 Winch Brake
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 04:23:53 PM »
You can still buy the brake unit as a assembly . I bought one a cpl of years ago and itís still in the box lol.

Most people drill the shaft holding on the brake assembly and installs a locking bolt .

They drill the end of the shaft thread it  and use a locking washer and thread locker to hold the bolt in. They also use the snap ring as well.

It only needs a 1/4 or 5/16 bolt because itís only a security thing so you donít loose the brake assembly in place if the snap ring goes missing .
Just a retired soldier fixing his toys
They dont call me speed wrench for nothing