Author Topic: Rebuild  (Read 129 times)

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
Rebuild
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:28:35 AM »
As the 2019 season comes to an end means I have 2 months home time, meaning time to finish up the engine.

Just a recap, I bought several blocks cranks and heads last year and sent in a block had it checked and bored, same with crank and head, so everything's basically new. Once engine was installed and time to put accessories on is when I noticed I made the mistake of putting in an earlier distributor drive gear. I did some research and found it's possible to switch them out without tearing down and starting over, I was able to get the old one out and a later style installed but the problem is lining up the holes for the grub screw, with this being said I feel the only way to do it is to pop the head off pull the cam and drive it home. Am i correct to assume this? I leave in March for Barbados for 6-7 months for a massive paving job at the airport there and would like to complete it before boarding the plane as it's been over a year in the making. Thank you in advance and hope everyone has a merry Christmas
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
  • Caper on the wrong side of the pond
    • My Hybrid Series 3
Re: Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 10:54:02 AM »
Hej Jamie,
yes I have to agree that the most logical thing to do is to remove the head to install the proper drive gear. Man it sucks noticing that you made that mistake after the head was on.  :doh2 I to have made some stupid mistakes on the landy, so your not alone!

The same to you and the family, a belated Merry Christmas.

Todd.

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
Re: Rebuild
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 05:08:31 PM »
It's in cams back in rollers and all, just gotta bolts the head down and pray everything is tickity boo.... hopefully by the weekend I can drive it out of the shop..
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a