Author Topic: Leaf springs over axle  (Read 384 times)

Offline dspencer

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
Leaf springs over axle
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:17:39 PM »
I have not seen this setup in a long time. Leaf springs over axle.

A quick look, seems that bigger tires might still rub on the frame during tight turn steering. Would require spacers and fender flares.

Offline lilmul

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • my new project
Re: Leaf springs over axle
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 10:10:17 AM »
I bough a truck one time that had the spring over and it was a disaster .

Rover axle are not meant to have the axles mounted under the springs. This causes a lot of steering issues as well as drive shaft angle issues . Because the wheel base is so short you will be tearing out U joints and will never get the steering alignment correct not to mention itís will not pass a safety inspection .

Your taking your life in your hands and others if you get into a accident . You will also be on the hook for any person getting hurt if the government finds out this conversion was done and not inspected by a engineer to say it was safe for the road.

Now to answer your question lol yes the tires will still hit the chassis and springs. The only way to avoid this is to either mount wider axles or space the wheels out further .

Tony
Just a retired soldier fixing his toys
They dont call me speed wrench for nothing

Offline dspencer

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 11:55:47 PM »
Very good comments.  Current owner and configuration since the 80's in his yard only.  -d.

Offline lilmul

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • my new project
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 09:33:04 PM »
If the truck is just used in the yard then it might be ok BUT there is really no advantage to a spring over unless you are putting really stupid size tires on it letís say 40 inches  :twothumbs

You really donít gain any axle clearance at all and if you stay with the rover axles and put bigger tires on the truck you will actually have a lot less travel in the steering . Itís hard enough to steer a series and then put a plow on it then add bigger tires you get the drift .

Thatís why I bought a 60 hp 4x4 tractor that has heat a/c and cup holders  :brrr
Just a retired soldier fixing his toys
They dont call me speed wrench for nothing