Author Topic: Engine  (Read 269 times)

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
Engine
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:31:04 AM »
quick question on my engine for everyone. She's all rebuilt however I am stuck on one part the timing chain. With number 1 piston all the way down which valves should be open? This is the last piece of the puzzle to complete. Any insight would be greatly appreciated... thanks in advance, she's been a almost a year long process but the race is on now for greg and I to complete these trucks and hopefully have a weekend run before the end of the year.
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
  • Caper on the wrong side of the pond
    • My Hybrid Series 3
Re: Engine
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 08:59:47 AM »
Which stroke are you talking about? If your setting the timing the no.1 piston is at TDC with both valves closed.

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 01:43:01 PM »
I bought a striped block so there was no timing Mark's no cam nothing so I'm starting from scratch.. I want to get it right the first time so here I am asking for help just so I can stop second guessing myself
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
K so with number 1 piston all the way up valves 4 and 7 are open all others are closed, is this correct?
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:53:53 PM »
To be honest Jamie I can't answer that, do you have a manual for the engine? Google the series 3 workshop manual, there's plenty around to download. Starting from scratch is smart at the end of the day you know exactly what you have. Once your putting the pieces together you'll see that there are markings on them for setting up the timing, so myself I wouldn't be so worried at this point. With that said though, get the manual out and give 'er a good read.  :wink

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 06:55:21 AM »
I've read it and couldnt really find the answers I'm looking for, but I think I got it figured out, time will tell. One small think I over looked was putting an earlier distributor drive gear in instead of the later model, no big deal got the old one and now having problems lining up the hole for the grub screw, I know this can be done with engine in truck I just half to hold my tougn the right way. Thanks tho Todd appreciate the feed back
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 08:59:46 AM »
Jamie that grub screw is a proper pain  :motz but doable!

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »
Proper pain is an understatement lol... think the easiest way to do it will be to pull fender off likely make the lining up process easier... because taking the engine out now is not an option
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »
Even with fender off still cant see in the hole to line things up, I put a pick in the hole and turned the engine by hand to try and line things up and nothing, looks like I'm gonna pull the engine for one little grub screw... ugh the love of land rovers
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a