Author Topic: Winter Romp Site  (Read 6394 times)

Offline finsup

• 3 Rivet member
  • FINSUP-67 IIa 88/The Silver Surfer-04 Discovery 2
    • Jeff's Rover Pages
Winter Romp Site
« on: December 01, 2006, 02:26:20 PM »
Since we lost the old link, I just want to remind everyone that the Winter Romp Website is up and running. I hope to see some of you there in February--especially since I have no idea when I'm going to fit a trip to Nova Scotia into our travel schedule.

Nothing "new" since Bruce reported that it was up-to-date, but I will be adding information as it comes in. I also want to remind everyone that if they have suggestions for information that should be included, a correction to anything published, or if there is a problem viewing the site in any (relatively) modern browser, please drop a note to jeff@winterromp.org and I'll do my best.

I guess the rest of this isn't really "travel" related as it pertains to the site itself--please forgive me for making the first post in this section partially "off topic."

I'll be removing the little dig at Niall the next time I republish. (But will leave the part about the wrench!) Funny for a while, but not really where I want to go with the site. Besides, now that he's a moderator I guess I have to be nice to him. (A free Nikon only gets you so far in life...) ;)

Regarding requests for photos/articles of past Romps.It's in the works. The first step will be for Bruce to send me his collection of Romp photo links and I will provide a page on the site with that info. Going beyond that, I hope to work with Ben Smith--who maintains the server where winterromp.org resides (everyone say "Thanks Ben!")--to get some sort of of "eMagazine/blog" software installed.

I want to use content generated by anyone who wants to contribute. I don't want a huge production process (after I've set up the templates) and I do want to retain editorial control over the site. The archives will contain well-written (or well-edited) stories that contain a few good photos. No camera dumps, you can use your FLCKR account for that and if you want to write endlessly and incoherently about every detail of your Romp experience take it to MySpace. ;) Anyhow, we are talking about it but Ben is busy with his Rover projects, house projects, local involvement and work and I'm busy with most of those and trying to build a client-base here in Mass. so it's tough to make time. (I should emphasize that *I'm* holding things up because I haven't (re)found the software I want him to consider--maybe I'll try to find it today while I'm thinking of it.)

"And then I got a job, keeping people from hanging out in front of the drug store."

Rgds!

jab

"A Land-Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver, and bad publicity for the vehicle."
--Land-Rover Driving Technique

Offline bens101fc

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
Re: Winter Romp Site
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 01:06:49 PM »
Regarding requests for photos/articles of past Romps.It's in the works. The first step will be for Bruce to send me his collection of Romp photo links and I will provide a page on the site with that info. Going beyond that, I hope to work with Ben Smith--who maintains the server where winterromp.org resides (everyone say "Thanks Ben!")--to get some sort of of "eMagazine/blog" software installed.

I'd love to add blogs, forums, etc.  The problem is that I built the machine with surplus hardware in 1998. It won't see a disk bigger than 8GB and it's an ancient version of RedHat Linux.   Dixon has been talking about buying a MacMini to replace it, but so far it is all talk.  One plan is for him to bring a new machine down to the Romp for me to build.  Another idea is for me to build something first and hand it off at the Romp.

Today at work I scavenged a newer machine (circa 2001) which should let me drop in 250Gb drives. So maybe I can get something working in time for the Romp.  I just upgraded my home box to a new Linux distro (Debian this time), so I have some experience with the distro and updates won't be as bad as with the old one.

Ben

Offline finsup

• 3 Rivet member
  • FINSUP-67 IIa 88/The Silver Surfer-04 Discovery 2
    • Jeff's Rover Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:05:24 PM »
Thanks for the tech update Ben. I wasn't aware of the hardware limitations--I don't think it's come up in any of our previous discussions. (And in no way did I mean to portray Ben or Dixon as being uncooperative in this. They have both been more then generous with their time and resources in hosting the site.)

Dixon with a Mac? DIXON? Hell has cooled noticeably.

jab
"A Land-Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver, and bad publicity for the vehicle."
--Land-Rover Driving Technique

Offline bens101fc

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »

With Macs being BSD under the covers and with the idea of saving $$$ with a smaller power supply, he's actually considering taking a crowbar to his wallet.

Either Hell has cooled.  Or it is another sign of the apocolypse.

Ben

Offline a109

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:53:44 PM »

With Macs being BSD under the covers and with the idea of saving $$$ with a smaller power supply, he's actually considering taking a crowbar to his wallet.

Either Hell has cooled.  Or it is another sign of the apocolypse.

Ben

Suggest to Dixon that paper money will actually breakdown with age. :congrats

John