Author Topic: Forum Financing  (Read 788 times)

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
  • Caper on the wrong side of the pond
    • My Hybrid Series 3
Forum Financing
« on: September 24, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
Hello everyone,
3 years have passed since the last time both the forum hosting & domain have been renewed. The renewal is a short 3 weeks away, therefore this post from me seeking support with the costs of maintaining this site and forum.

The figure that I'm presented with today is nearly $300 USD, with searching the internet I think that can lower that to the 200ish range by moving to another host. But still the question that needs answering is where does those monies come from?

At one time there was a yearly membership fee which hasn't been collected for several years. I'm not asking or suggesting anyone to "pay-up" for the past few years but rather if we can get enough people together to share the load of the renewals?

Is there enough interest within the LR community in the Maritimes to support a one time contribution to save and maintain this site and forum?  It would be a shame to lose this gem of a site and forum.

PLEASE do not think or suggest that I'm demanding anything from anyone but rather I'm asking you if you want to keep this site and forum? Are your interested and willing to help to cover the running costs? I can and will do my best to find the best possible price for us.

This post is open to discussion and debate, please spread the word and lets do our best to keep M.O.R.E running.

Many thanks,
Todd.

Offline Roving Teacher

• 1 Rivet member
Re: Forum Financing
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
I registered in 2008 and have never paid a penny.  Although I don't post often, the expertise and great conversation is a wonderful resource.  Like minded people with a good sense of community is what Rovering is all about in my mind.  I would be happy to help cost share this expense and thank all members for keeping this great forum active.

Offline Agsflund

• M.O.R.E.
  • 2 Rivet member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 05:17:49 PM »
Todd, I would certainly have no issue with supporting the group hosting etc. I must admit I have been away from the group for several years due to work commitments but am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I seem to remember there used to be $25 subscription which seems awfully cheap for the knowledge base out there!

Andrew
1989 110
2006 LR3

Offline davep

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 06:31:02 PM »
 Hi Todd , I'm with Ben and Andrew . You have my support .
 DAVE

Offline BenP

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 07:36:27 PM »
Count me in too. 
BenP

Offline jamie

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 10:11:28 PM »
Count me in
1967 diesel RHD
1972 series 2a

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 11:02:55 PM »
HI guys,
my sincere thanks to you all for your support. In the coming days I hope that we have more members joining us to keeping the forum going. Tomorrow I'll be exploring a few other avenues to see how we can keep the costs down all the while maintaining the same quality service.

Thank you  :twothumbs

Todd.

Offline Adam and Kristina

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
  • 1972 Series 3, 88, 2 1/4 Petrol
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 10:36:28 PM »
I'm in if required.
The Fleet:
2011 Honda Fit LX - Practical daily driver
2003 Dodge Dakota V8
2015 Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport
1972 Land Rover Series 3, 88", 2 1/4 Petrol (Toast...to be replaced by a 2.5 NA Diesel!!)

Adam and Kristina (Vermeulen) Cruickshank

Offline Julie & Peter Rosvall

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 10:47:27 AM »
Todd and all,

My understanding is that there is still a bank balance in the MORE account from past membership dues and event registrations.  Rhonda has the bank account in Yarmouth, and I believe Gerald is also a signing authority.  I don't look at the forum often, if at all, but I know it is still in use, and is a good asset.

Julie Rosvall
Wolfville, NS

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 10:53:13 AM »
In the recent days I've received a few tips on our clubs hosting and domain renewals. I've been able to secure a great deal of $145.20 CND for a further 3 years with that hosting moving from Hostgator (USA) into Nova Scotia.   

Fingers crossed that we can get a few more people interested and willing to support our club's site & forum. The more people who do get involved, the lower the cost per individual.

Today I also created a PayPal account: maritimerovers@gmail.com
All contributions can be made to that account, but lets wait and see till the end of the month before doing so.  :fing02

Any and all suggestions/tips are greatly welcomed, please get involved.

Thank you all,
Todd. 

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 11:01:26 AM »
Todd and all,

An addition to my last post, in addition to to the bank account, I believe there is also already a Paypal account for MORE too, which Rhonda and Gerald also have access to, I believe.

Julie Rosvall
Wolfville, NS

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
Todd and all,

My understanding is that there is still a bank balance in the MORE account from past membership dues and event registrations.  Rhonda has the bank account in Yarmouth, and I believe Gerald is also a signing authority.  I don't look at the forum often, if at all, but I know it is still in use, and is a good asset.

Julie Rosvall
Wolfville, NS

Hi Julie,
I'm just as guilty of poor attendance to.  :doh2
But it's nice to be reminded of a great gem we have here and I would like to see it continue.

I didn't know that there might be a balance avail to us, if there is that is great news. All contributions that we can secure plus any possible balance will be helpful in maintaining M.O.R.E

Thank you for letting us know.

Todd.   

Offline Todd Jackson

• Administrator
  • 5 rivet member
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »
Todd and all,

An addition to my last post, in addition to to the bank account, I believe there is also already a Paypal account for MORE too, which Rhonda and Gerald also have access to, I believe.

Julie Rosvall
Wolfville, NS

Thanks for ringing my bell, I do remember that now. Maybe we can arrange access for me as well ??

Offline Lucky

• 3 Rivet member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »
Count me in also!

Let us know when we can make the payment.  :-)
1968 Series IIa 88 Petrol 2.25 RHD
1998 Range Rover P38A
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 11:11:59 AM »
Todd and all,

I've tried contacting Rhonda via another social media account I have for her, hopefully she will respond, I suspect your emails have gone into her junk folder, or she's using a new email address.  I'll try again from my end, and cc Gerald (although he's got limited Internet where is he is right now and for a couple of weeks).  I do not have any access to any of the accounts, but I know they can get things straightened out.

Julie Rosvall
Wolfville, NS