Author Topic: A trip of a life time  (Read 1724 times)

Offline dspencer

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
A trip of a life time
« on: February 24, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »
This very exciting Todd !!

http://tukojack.blogspot.ca/

Do you have Land Rover people along the way to visit? -d.

Offline Todd Jackson

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • Caper on the wrong side of the pond
    • My Hybrid Series 3
Re: A trip of a life time
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »
 :rofl :rofl David I didn't think that the blog would get any attention as of yet. thanks for posting.  :fing02

Yes I have a list of contacts heading north if I run into any problems and to have a cold one with. I'm looking forward to getting to the Norwegian LR Club summer meet in Bardu, I haven't attended one of their events in 11 years.

If anyone wants to see the trip in detail and have Google Earth installed, I can email the files. I'm most excited for Northern Norway in Finnmark where I have over 200 km offroading to enjoy.

Offline dspencer

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 10:33:27 PM »
that's really a great route. I don't see any BFGoodrich sponsorship on the blog?  your local tire shop might enjoy the opportunity in exchange for new tires?-d.

Offline Todd Jackson

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 09:48:19 AM »
Unfortunately sponsorship is nearly a thing of the past. If a "sponsor" does not recognize an immediate advantage for their product they just turn their backs. I approached 2 of the most popular Land Rover magazines to ask if they would like to have an article from the trip, in exchange for some stickers and permission to use their name as endorsing this trip. Still 8 months later I've not heard back from one of them and the other I received a reply that I took as rude.

Suppliers, well there I am luck enough to have a friend who has a shop in England (Timber Trail 4x4) that has been giving me discounts on the parts for prepping my landy and the carried spares. Ben's support has been great.  :fing02

Offline ex_mod_110

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 11:25:10 PM »
Todd,

Looks like you have an awesome trip planned.  What are your thoughts on the roof top tent?

Troy
91 Ex MOD 110
92 Defender 110 RHD
96 Disco
04 Disco
89 Range Rover

Offline Todd Jackson

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
    • My Hybrid Series 3
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:06:36 PM »
Hej Troy,
sorry for the delay, to be honest I've not slept in it yet but that will change in 2 weeks time when I have my Småland Traxx Spring Event.

There are so many positives with the roof top tent (RTT) which out weigh any thoughts of a regular tent in my future. I like the fact that I can use it either on the landy or on my utility trailer. Sleeping or trying to sleep on uneven ground or with a rock in my back will no longer be an issue with the 60mm foam mattress on a flat base.

I like that it folds up rather small on the roof and it weighs in at just 62kg. Even with that weight I have ordered air spring helpers that I will install in the rear springs. The ladder we did have our reservations about that but once we tried it out it really wasn't an issue for climbing in and out of the RTT.

The one negative that I've noticed over the years is that you can't have it mounted on your truck and think that you can offroad like usual, in no time at all you will damage or destroy the RTT.

Todd.