Author Topic: Time to Sell Gromet  (Read 4656 times)

Offline andrew*austin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
  • Finished but still working on it!
Time to Sell Gromet
« on: January 13, 2014, 12:52:44 AM »
My son Austin is living in University residence in Halifax now, and with parking and all, it was not practical for him to take Gromet, our 1962 Petrol 88 with him so it is tucked away in our back garage with my Mini and my Triumph for the winter. Last year Austin lived his dream and used Gromet as his daily driver through the winter for school and his job. This year he is thinking that for a daily driver come summer he wants something more modern and suitable for highway driving and city traffic. I am thinking I will post on EBay and Kijiji in the Spring, but in the meantime, I would get the news out in case any of you have an interest. That way you would have plenty of time to ask questions and think about it.

We (well "I" really) restored and reassembled Gromit over two years after buying him as a "Project" on EBay. It's attractions include: rust free galvanized frame, rust free epoxy coated bulkhead with heavy gauge footwells, new Rocky Mountain Parabolics all around with new bushings and ProComp shocks, Fresh head job on engine, fresh Exmoor Trim seats and canvas, decent top with sliding windows and catflap, new fuel tank, all new brakes (including Rover drums and Girling cylinders and fresh lines), Pertronix electronic ignition, All new pattern wiring, Excellent Kodiak heater, new Goodrich Wrangler M/S tires and too much more to mention (or to want to remember!).  Everything works, and as much as practical I tried to keep things original (or original looking), particularly the classic dash. It made no sense to aim for a concourse restoration so we went for the "serviceable enjoyed classic" look. This makes it easier to justify having some off road fun with it, (which we did successfully at two M.O.R.E. events over the year).  Austin and Gromit were also interviewed extensively by the crew from "My Classic Car" at last Summer's British Motoring Festival in Windsor, and we were assured that they would appear on an episode sometime in 2014.  We were also featured in the Chronicle Herald: http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1139293-classic-rover-coming-to-british-motoring-festival

I know that I will never recover all of the money we put into Gromet (not to mention the huge investment in time and effort).  I would like to recoup a reasonable chunk though, and based on what I have been watching on EBay, I think I can. We would love to keep Gromit, but with two classic cars already, a wife who will only drive one of them, and Austin looking for a replacement, it is just too hard to rationalize!  I will post pictures later and would be glad to take specific shots of interest and answer any questions, and entertain any offers.

Andrew

Offline carib

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • Soft Top Rovers Have More Fun
Re: Time to Sell Gromet
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 01:56:59 AM »
Andrew:

Sad to hear, you are selling the Rover, but the practical reality is sometimes the Rover(s) have to go.

It sounds like a nice Rover and restoration job.

If I had room in my last container, I would be interested, but such shall not be.

Good luck in selling the Rover, and hope you get back a decent chunk of what you put into it.

If your son is at SMU, there is a Prof their who may be interested in it.

He sold his Roiver to Con, and I have it now. He used it as a daiily driver for many years and one would see it parked in the SMU parking lot.

Kenneth
1974 Series III  SWB Petrol
1970 Series IIA SWB Perkins
        Prima Diesel Conversion
1963 Fordson Super Major Diesel
1957 2YBA Ruston Hornsby Diesel
        9 KVA Gen Set

Kenneth Armour

Offline andrew*austin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 11:43:36 PM »
Some pictures as promised. Also forgot to mention that it comes with many books (including Factory Workshop Manual), special tools and some spare parts...

Offline andrew*austin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:35:28 PM »
It seems that the photos in my last post do not show for some people. I can't see them when I look on my tablet, but they are there when O use my computer. Since I don't know how to fix this, I would be happy to email pics. I can be reached at andrewhurst@accesswave.ca

(Also, Tony at SMU, the MORE link does not seem to recognize you as a member so won't let me mail you back. If you email me I can reply in kind.)

Offline dspencer

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »
Front

Interior

Engine

Muddy

New Top!

Offline dspencer

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »

Offline lilmul

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • my new project
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
Nice truck .

It looks great .

Do you have a asking price ?

Tony
Just a retired soldier fixing his toys
They dont call me speed wrench for nothing

Offline andrew*austin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
Gromit is tentatively sold. Just waiting for Spring to come for the "seal the deal" test drive. :brrr

Austin is now the proud owner of a rust free, one previous owner, 1988 Volvo 240 Wagon w/ 5 Speed from the States.

Offline Adam and Kristina

• M.O.R.E.
  • 4 Rivet member
  • 1972 Series 3, 88, 2 1/4 Petrol
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
Good luck with the test drive. Hopefully Gromet is not leaving the maritimes!
The Fleet:
2011 Honda Fit LX - Practical daily driver
2002 VW Jetta TDI
2015 Yamaha XT250
2015 Honda CRF250L
1972 Land Rover Series 3, 88", 2.5 NA Diesel

Adam and Kristina (Vermeulen) Cruickshank

Offline carib

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
  • Soft Top Rovers Have More Fun
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »
Thankfully it is staying in NS.

My Friend who is the Prof at SMU has tentatively bought it.
I may be going down with him to test drive it and if all goes well drive it back to Hfx.

Kenneth
1974 Series III  SWB Petrol
1970 Series IIA SWB Perkins
        Prima Diesel Conversion
1963 Fordson Super Major Diesel
1957 2YBA Ruston Hornsby Diesel
        9 KVA Gen Set

Kenneth Armour

Offline gregb

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »

Good to hear it's staying in the area.

Greg

Offline Lucky

• 3 Rivet member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:43:36 AM »
Wow nice truck!

I wish we could have more Rover friends here in Quebec. 
1968 Series IIa 88 Petrol 2.25 RHD
1998 Range Rover P38A
2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Offline andrew*austin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »
Unfortunately the Professor never got got to take his test drive before changing his mind and deciding to buy another Landy (for less money but with more work required). He will be going to Ontario to pick it up and trailer it here. The good news, I guess is that one more Series truck is making its way to NS. The bad news for me is that I will have to find another buyer. I dropped my price to $9000 in exchange for not having to do two jobs i was planning to do before selling: install the braided brake hose set I bought to try to firm up the brakes, and fit the sliding window channels i bought for the hard top side panels. Anyone looking for a sweet ride to the Moose this year?

i'll be pulling it out of storage this weekend and starting the process of preening and photographing for an E-Bay auction.  Andrew

Offline andrew*austin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 3 Rivet member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 12:01:17 AM »
Gromit is gone.  :sad smile

An enthusiastic young lady from Fredericton came and drove him home last Sunday. She took the Digby ferry but otherwise drove non-stop with no issues. She has already met some of our NB members and will likely join. You might even see them show up for an event or two.

Thank you to all who helped Austin and I with parts, advice, mule services, and friendship over the years.  The Best 4X4 Club By Far! All the best to you all!  Andrew and Austin

Offline gregb

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 09:45:09 AM »
Good to hear he's still a Canadian !

Greg