Author Topic: Snowblower recommendations? V type?  (Read 17979 times)

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
Snowblower recommendations? V type?
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
So, I ended up with a 1960 Case 400B, which has a 148 gas engine, live hydraulics, live PTO, and a weird Case-O-Matic torque converter drive that gives the equivalent of 16 speeds. It's in horrible shape. I bought it from a scrap dealer by the pound, so it wasn't expensive, but it has been sitting for 10 years so the engine is stuck. I've got it all apart and am putting in an engine kit (liners, etc) in the next few weeks, and I swapped over the tires for a set of used ones I bought.

The main emergency is getting something together to plow snow. I've got a blade/truck that will probably keep the drive open for most of the winter, but I wanted a snowblower to keep the snowbanks in check and for any major snowfalls. I'm now in the unenviable position of trying to find an inexpensive 3PT hitch snowblower just before winter. Lots of painted up junk that should be worth 2-300$ going for thousands. I'm thinking about getting one of those pull-behind V type blowers, or even making one (they are dead simple), as its main purpose in life will be to eat up the snowbanks that the truck pushes to the side of the road. The V type blower should be fine for running down the road and chewing away af the banks. I figure one could be made out of some scrap steel (oil tank) and some various farm store parts, but I've never used one and am not sure how useful (useless) they really are. Bruce recommended against the V type blowers, and I agree that a 2 stage blower is probably best, but I think the V type would be workable for this application.

Opinions?
JL

Offline a109

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
Re: Snowblower recommendations? V type?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »
Listen to Bruce.....Check out the prices of new ones...it might surprise you.
A cobbled together blower will break down when conditions are horrible and you most need it.
John

Admin

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
JL,

I know you can build anything, but a solid 3pt blower is quite a machine.
I bought one of these new
http://www.pronovost.qc.ca/puma.html
It's the best blower I've ever used, and I've actually used quite a few.
I forget what it cost but it was a lot less than I was expecting.
Even got the hydraulic rotater.
Snow removal is finally a breeze.

Pete

Offline Justrovin

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
    • Briarwood Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:01:30 PM »
Pete, do you use this on the B-21 ??
I carry the dust of a journey
That cannot be shaken away
It lives deep within me
For I breathe it every day
                            - ELP

Admin

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »
Yup, I think I have the 64"er

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 05:06:46 PM »
Yes, I was actually thinking that I might just buy a new one. I'm not spending 1K on an old worn-out piece of junk that is going to need everything replaced. If I could find a beater for 300$ and totally rebuild it, that would be worth it, but at the prices these things are selling for used, it's just ridiculous. I figured if I was buying old junk, the V type blowers would be simple enough and relatively bomb-proof, but 2 stage blowers are a complex animal and have that blasted gearbox that could easily fail if it was not maintained.

After last winter and this summer it looks like we are going to get lots of snow. I guess the question is 84 or 74 inches wide? The Case is supposedly 40-45 hp PTO. The engine will be relatively fresh so it should run strong.
JL

Offline a109

• M.O.R.E.
  • 5 rivet member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
The factor to consider in choosing the width is how slow will the tractor go at full throttle in reverse. The slower the better. if  it is fairly fast get the narrower one.
John

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 04:35:57 PM »
The Case has fancy-dancy "Case-O-Matic" drive. I have no idea how good or bad this system is. It uses a torque converter instead of a clutch, and has both fluid drive and direct drive selections. Shifting down into fluid drive (which is done on the fly) allows the PTO to run at full power while the tractor can slow down considerably, like a car with an automatic transmission. It has the equivalent of 16 gear positions (8 direct, 8 fluid). It sounds great, but it was unveiled in 1958 and Case nearly went bankrupt in 1961, so it might not have caught on like they were hoping  :rofl

Unfortunately I didn't know this until it got dropped off at home and I started looking at all the weird levers sprouting out of the dashboard. I figured it was a 310B with 2X4 trans and a (bad) clutch. I bought the tractor from a local scrap dealer so he hadn't run it, but it had engine troubles, not transmission. According to the antique CASE gurus on the internet it is a reliable drive system if the correct fluid is used (ATF), but Case was never very popular and no one knows much about these machines, and the ones that do are likely biased.  All in all it is a solid machine though, seems well built and sturdy, live PTO, live hydraulics, heavy 3 pt hitch, decent size (7.50-16 fronts and 14.9-24 rears).

It would need over 6 feet to clear the tire width.
JL

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:03:57 PM »
Update:

I have the Case all back together and it runs great, but I still don't have a blower. Everything has been pretty much sold out since early October here because of last year's major snowfall, and the best price I have gotten for a cheapo is about 3K. I have a plow for the Land-Rover, so I might just chance it, and pay the neighbour to move the banks if it gets too bad, and buy one in the spring.
JL

Offline Dewie

• 1 Rivet member
  • Lada Niva Owner
    • Dewie's Webpage
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 03:16:55 PM »
I didn't realize this site had a Tractor section - let alone people into the same old crap I am :)

I grew up using a V-type snow blower - and am currently trying to round up the gear to build myself one for my 1950 Ford 8N - however if you have live hydraulics - I think I would be more tempted to go with a conventional type.

The V type is great for tractors which are geared quite high in reverse (my reverse is almost the equivalent of 3rd :|) and which do not have a live PTO - I have to be moving in order for my PTO to run - so with the V-type I can simply be driving through the snow (if it isn't too deep) taking a very small skim off the top (only as much as I have HP etc to deal with) and just keep driving back and forth until the snow is gone.

If there is too much snow you have to back into it - put the blower down - then drive forward - you need the motion of driving forward to pull the snow into the thrower mechanism...

Where you have a live PTO you can gradually ease your way into a bank - as the blower keeps going full tilt.

You're more likely to get a sore neck though  :club

Offline Brutus

• 4 Rivet member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
Winter update:

I now have a V blower. It was 100$. Since the tractor does not have a cab I have been using the truck and plow. A pickup with a plow is a machine to be reckoned with. I doubt I will use the blower unless it snows three feet in a day.
JL

Offline Dewie

• 1 Rivet member
  • Lada Niva Owner
    • Dewie's Webpage
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:32:44 AM »
Winter update:

I now have a V blower. It was 100$. Since the tractor does not have a cab I have been using the truck and plow.

$100?!?! That was a steal!! I wish I could find one - I don't have a truck/plow - I have a grader blade on the back of my tractor and its a horrible setup... it doesn't work worth a damn for pushing forward and the tractor is quite low - so I can't pull a lot...

If you EVER opt to sell the V blower PLEASE let me know - I am going to start building one soon but for $100 it just wouldn't be worth while.